Re: [OM] IMG: The Final Magnolia

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Final Magnolia
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 22:03:00 -0700
On 9/6/2013 7:38 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Just a memory -
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/152197369/original

Like!

Then may I pick a couple of nits? :-)   I appreciate the display of the blossom
against the aureole of leaves behind it,
somewhat separated by DOF from those further behind. The primary subject is so
vertical ... I'd probably have gone with
vertical, and certainly would crop vertically, after the fact.

Perhaps going back to f8 and moving the focal plane forward just a bit more
would leave the flower fully in focus, while
separating the immediate leaves from background more? The horizontal framing
might work better that way.

I've been interested, watching the move of aperture settings, f4, f5.6, f8,
f11. It's certainly worked in bringing more
DOF, although I still think this one could benefit from a little further
forward focus. It's lost the glow of the first
one, although that may be in part the change of lens mid way and, of course the
changing nature of the subject.

I don't know, with what you say about your current vision/eyeglasses situation
if you will be able to see all of this.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Magnolia2.htm>

It shows the kind of crop I talked about. I also moved the apparent plane of
focus forward, leaving the leaves as is,
sharpening most of the blossom a little and brushing in more sharpening on the
most forward parts. Perhaps not entirely
satisfactory, perhaps, but I hope it illustrates what more forward focus would
have done.

Hopefully Helpful Moose