Re: [OM] Cardio Vascular Disease [was: Pungo Creek Butcher]

Subject: Re: [OM] Cardio Vascular Disease [was: Pungo Creek Butcher]
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:38:24 +1200
Contrary to my normal practice where I respond to replies after quoting them,
this
time I make my response first.

I am frankly amazed that Chuck and Moose are unable to put two and two together
and come to the logical conclusions reached by Dr Esselstyn and Dr Prendergast
who are practicing doctors.

And I will point out that reliance solely on peer-reviewed published material
has them
fall into the exact same blinkered trap that outfits such as the Heart
Foundation in
both New Zealand and Australia have fallen in to and I have little doubt
contributes to
their pathetic rate of success in reducing CVD (Coronary Heart Disease) and
stroke
in these countries. Prendergast and Ignarro level a very similar accusation at
USA
hospitals and medical professionals.

Keeping this as brief as I can.
Dr Esselstyn points out in his book on page 41 "And nitric oxide, as I have
noted, is
absolutely essential ..
read the rest here..
http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/2013/L-arginine-1500-90%25.jpg

"Using the Nobel Prize for discovering the messenger effect of nitric oxide
(NO) in
such a way as to seem as though it is  also an endorsement of the L-A treatment
is
unethical", is bullcrap.
Without L-arginine, nitric oxide WOULD NOT EXIST in the bloodstream, because it
is created there by L-arginine by feeding the enzyme which scientists call
"nitric oxide
synthase".
Further, as the scan of pages 42 & 43 reveals, if ADMA (asymmetric
di-methyl-arginine) is present, it competes with L-arginine for access to
nitric oxide
synthase, and the more it succeeds the less NO is produced.

There is another enzyme called DDAH = di-methyl-arginine
di-methyl-amino-hydrolase,  which will destroy ADMA and thus restore the
production
of NO, *but* the major cardiovascular risk factors plus oxidative stress from
foods
that generate free radicals impair the ability of DDAH to destroy ADMA.

Esselstyn chose to protect the L-arginine -> nitric oxide synthase -> NO
mechanism
by keeping free radicals OUT of his recommended (vegan) diet. Was it successful?
Certainly it was in his first trial where he aided about 20 ( I forget the
exact number
but it was about 20) terminally ill CVD patients stay on a vegan diet. At the
formal
end of that study, 12 years later, not one of those people had worsened CVD and
at
least one was shown by CAT scan to have had the CVD reversed.

Prendergast was faced with sure premature death when in his 30's he was shown
have severe arterial disease (equivalent to what an 80-year-old 'Murrican'
could be
expected to have) in the arteries in and around his stomach. So he chose to
(with the
advice of Dr J Clarke) augment his supply of L-arginine, and as he told me in
an
e-mail, did not modify his diet. As a result of this L-arginine
supplementation,
somewhere around 8 - 10 years later two CAT scans showed that his abdomen was
totally clear of arterial disease and so were his cardiac arteries.

At the same time he adopted this course of action for himself, he, as
endocrinologist
for diabetics, placed them on the same supplementation.

Pay attention here please Moose.

Diabetics in his region of California typically get CVD at the rate of 35%, so
typically
he ended up referring that 35% of his patients to cardiac surgeons etc.

The volume of his referrals up to that point in time kept 3 cardiologists in
business.

Over a period of ?16? years he put 5,000 ( five thousand) diabetic patients on
L-arginine supplementation.
NONE of them ( as far as he has been able to ascertain) had CVD worsen, if they
had it and most would well have had their arterial health improved as a result.
Hence because his patients were no longer at risk of CVD and presenting with
such,
forthwith none were referred to the three cardiologists.
These three closed their practices and moved elsewhere.

Due to this wonderful achievement, the USA Diabetics Association awarded him
with
their "Father of the Year" prize. of which he is justly proud.

It could well be that "peripheral arterial disease" which seems to be medical
jargon
for arterial disease of the legs (and perhaps arms), does not respond to
L-arginine
supplementation. It could well be that such cases need segregation.

But it is very clear that arterial diseases in the cardiac arteries (supplying
the heart)
and carotid arteries ( supplying the brain) do respond. These two afflictions
cause
typically around 35% of all premature deaths in the "Western culture"
societies, AND
many more who are affected but not killed outright suffer crippling incapacity
at huge
cost to society.
Adopting the so-called "Mediterranean diet" goes some way to maintaining NO
supply, since its use reduces the 35% above by about 25% to 26% premature
mortality. But is that good enough? I don't think so.

Look at the mortality figures for your country in this database; I have set it
for the
USA but you can easily change countries. ( see that the combined death rate in
the
USA is 28.17%, no doubt reduced from the 35% of elsewhere due to the enormous
amount of and expensive heart surgery carried out there).

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/country-health-profile/united-states

Medical authorities which rely solely on refereed papers and ignore the
evidence of
such as Drs Prendergast and Esselstyn are stupid.

I rest my case.  Back to doing my tax ...

Chuck and Moose wrote

> What Moose said.  What Brian knows full well but fails to tell us is that,
> of all the physicians he has mentioned as recommending L-arginine for the
> treatment of CVD, only Dr. John P. Cooke
> <http://www.methodisthealth.com/john-p-cooke-md-phd> has ever conducted
> ANY peer-reviewed clinical research on the use of L-arginine.  In 2002 Dr.
> Cooke wrote "The Cardiovascular Cure" wherein he recommends dietary and
> exercise regimens and also the use of L-arginine as a dietary supplement.
>
> But Dr. Cooke did not stop doing research on L-arginine in 2002.  He and
> others continued research on longer term supplementation and discovered
> that long term supplementation had adverse effects. For example:
> <http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=202136> I pointed this
> out to Dr. Cooke in a personal email to him and asked if he was still
> recommending the use of L-arginine and got this response.
> Yes, the book needs to be updated to take into account the new data, one
> of which papers is mine(the one from Stanford published in Circulation in
> 2007, showing no benefit and potential vascular harm from chronic use of
> Arginine in patients with Peripheral arterial disease. Accordingly I no
> longer recommend l-Arginine supplementation for heart and vessel health.
> Brian would do better to pay less attention to L-arginine peddlers and
> more attention to those who do clinical research such as Dr. Christopher
> Gardner mentioned below.  He's quite believable when he admits that his 25
> years of vegetarianism is contra-indicated by his own recent research.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 9/7/2013 2:12 AM, Moose wrote:
> On 9/6/2013 2:10 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Moose wrote about what I wrote
> Michael C. Johnston seems to have just taken a broad-based look at the
> range of diet books without going into important science.
>
> Agreed. I only linked to it because it is such a good summary of the range
> of firmly held, 'correct' ideas about diet. In the world of nutrition
> science, the main difference seems to be that the professionals don't have
> best selling books. I like the video I linked to in part because
> Christopher Gardner does not take himself too seriously as some sort of
> expert who knows all the answers.
>
> I watched about 20% of the video
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo
> ie, 16 minutes of the total 1 hour 16 minutes, and it seemed that what he
> is on about is obesity and weight-loss.
>
> Impatience ... It's at minute 23 that he starts showing the effects of the
> different diets on cardiovascular blood chemistry risk factors. From then
> on, it's a mixture of  stuff about losing weight and the effect of diet on
> health and well being. Only an hour long, before a question period. You
> forced me to watch it again - but I'm not sorry.
>
> If you watch the whole thing, I expect you will find it hard to support a
> high carb diet for the majority of people. That is what you proposed in
> [...]

Brian Swale