Re: [OM] Fun With Drifter

Subject: Re: [OM] Fun With Drifter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 22:46:56 -0700
On 9/7/2013 11:10 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I don't believe that there is any way to avoid that problem or challenge,
> Moose.

Well, there is. Just give away everything and count on God to feed clothe and
shelter me. Between the Sermon on the
Mount and several of the parables, that's what it seem to me he says, pretty
specifically.

What would the world be like if we all did that? I'm not sure my imagination is
quite up to that task, although I'd like
to hope so.

I believe that there is either nothing requiring salvation or that all are
saved, which amounts to the same thing. That
works whether there is nothing beyond this life or there is a divinity to the
Universe that neither judges nor punishes.
My experience is that the Divine center which is also all that is celebrates
each of our lives with joy.
I suspect it's but our own consciences that worry about being saved.

I see no need to try to do more than my best, nor to worry about my failings.
It seems to me that when people try to be
perfect, serve, act, beyond the truth of who they are inside, it does little
good in the world.

> The question for me is not whether I can avoid having to make choices like
> that, but that I do make the right choice: to help others.  The degree to
> which I do so is not a matter for my conscience, a conscience that is driven
> by what Jesus might have done.
>
> Andrew's point about judging "deserving" is a valid one: we should not judge,
> but we should love our neighbour as ourselves.
>
> Now, if only I could live up to the this standard . . .

It sounds to me as though you are asking yourself the right questions and
working through the answers honestly within
yourself. I think that's the best any of us can do - and sufficient, no matter
what anyone else may say.

Moose