Re: [OM] E-M1

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 07:55:40 -0600
> Yes. especially with the 12-40mm and grip. I'd be prepared to take it on a
> pro job - it looks like a procam.

I've thought it looks the bees' knees.

> There are some questions that you DO NOT EVER ASK Olympus - if you want to
> stay on the free lunch list that is.

Sell-out!

> Despite the boozy South African MD and the convivial atmosphere, there are
> very serious protocols
> in the way that they do business, deal with the press, etc. Ask the wrong
> question and and you get a smile and silence - a very long, terse silence in
> some cases.  Next question.

I've been around the block enough times to know and work within that
protocol. Fair enough. (I can play along better than most anybody in
that realm). But it doesn't stop us talking heads in the chat rooms
and list serves from questioning it. We have no such restrictions. The
problem, for Olympus, is that there is the carefully crafted message
presented through official means, but their actual sales and customer
experience is not nearly so controlled. In fact, as is typical, the
official presentation is rarely representative of reality.

But how does one shine light on what is obviously a misguided effort?
I'm not accusing Olympus of misguided efforts, right now. In fact, I
rather like what they are doing. But, let's pick on Sigma. They get
the idea that they can charge an insane amount for a two-bit DSLR and
the assembled press and dignitaries has to play along telling them how
beautiful the emperor's new clothes are.

That Olympus is killing Four-Thirds is no surprise and at this point,
logical. Sad that it happened, but with limited resources and even
more limited sales, Olympus has to be very choosy in what they do,
since they can't do two things at once.

Tells you what. With a reduction optic that works really well, I
wouldn't need a full-frame camera. Without the need to change brands,
the E-M1 would be my first choice.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx