Re: [OM] More old aeroplane photos.

Subject: Re: [OM] More old aeroplane photos.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:02:11 -0600
I couple of weeks ago, I got a glimpse (and a fuzzy cellphone picture)
of a pair of WW2 era fighters flying in formation over Denver. I think
they were beelining it out of Centennial before a big storm hit.

I'm a bit puzzled by them because I can't recognize them by the
combination of shape and sound.

1. The wings have a straight trailing edge, perpendicular to the body.
A P51, for instance, has the leading edge perpendicular to the body,
as does most US fighters from that era, with various shapes for the
trailing edge. I think the wing tips were shaped similar to the P51.

2. The body is slenderish and long, like the P51, but with the wing
farther forward.

3. The tail is NOT that of a Zero. Possible German aircraft. The
horizontal stabilizer is not forward of the vertical fin, but appears
also appears more square cornered in shape than many earlier WW2
fighters which had rounded shapes.

4. Did not sound like a radial, and the front cowling was too narrow.
But most inline engines have more body ahead of the wing. Not F4U
short, but not P51 long. More like a Hurricane.

5. If anything, it had a bit of a hurricane look, but the wing is all wrong.

6. There would have been two of them here in Colorado. One is painted
tan and he took the wingman position.

I can email a camera phone photo if anybody contacts me off-list, but
thought I'd toss this out first.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx