Re: [OM] Help - can anyone identify these nests

Subject: Re: [OM] Help - can anyone identify these nests
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 06:35:34 +1000
We get a type here that build sets along any wide crack, including air vents in
exterior walls. They're large, orange wasps and appear fr about two weeks in
early summer. The mud 'cells' are small and if broken open, each one contains a
small, black spider. Spiders are a typical target for this kind of parasitic
activity. I've seen a standoff between a huge wasp, 5mm long, and the local
'tarantula' - the Huntsman. Fascinating stuff - after 20 minutes they were
still working through attack and defence strategies.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com
Author/Publisher: The SLR Compendium - http://www.blurb.com/books/3732813