Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 01:17:40 -0500
OK, I will toss out a few words.  In the days of 4/3, before it got
upstaged by m4/3, Fuji, etc., Oly put forth a macro for the masses, a ZD
35/3.5 that sold for under $200US.  After reading about it, I decided it
would make a fine companion for my 14-54, because AF is nice when
cataracts are developing.  Despite the low price, the optics turned out
quite good, and I have enjoyed using it, until yesterday.

It was noted in the early reviews that this lens would hunt when trying
to AF at close distances.  I accepted that and took it into account.
But, while shooting rose closeups yesterday, it would go all the way out
to about 1:1, and stay there until I turned the power off.  After
several attempts, with no success, I tried the pencil eraser contact
cleaning trick, but this hardly made a difference.  When I put the 14-54
on the same camera, AF is fine, which, to me, says that the lens has a
problem.

Any suggestions?  Or similar experiences?

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA