Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:40:53 -0700
On 9/15/2013 8:49 AM, DZDub wrote:
> ... Chuck, A 60mm DZ is the equivalent of a 120/2.8 in film terms. That would
> have been considered very generous in
> working distance back in the day, almost as good as the legendary 135/4.5
> with a great deal more speed and brightness.

Well, not really; that's one thing that doesn't scale that way. It's still a 60
mm lens, whatever image size it covers,
and the respective subject and object distances for a given magnification
remain the same.

One could argue that only 1:2 on the smaller frame is needed to equal 1:1 on
FF. If both frames are displayed at the
same size; both subjects will be the same size on print/screen, the smaller
format having been magnified twice as much.
Using that approach, it does have a longer working distance for the same final
display magnification than a 60 mm FF lens.

Sitting here at my desk, looking at a printed sheet to check working distance
is like looking through a very good, wide,
flat field magnifier. Magnified live view only covers maybe a quarter of a
letter 'e'.

It does have a usefully longer working distance than the 12-50 in 43 mm Macro
Mode, as well as magnifying a lot more.

The other thing to consider is that this is an internal focus lens; it doesn't
change length as it focuses*. Many/most
internal focus lenses change focal length as they focus closer. Those I know of
get shorter.

The camera reports 60 mm even focused at closest, but I don't suppose that
means anything. Working distance is roughly
three in./80 mm from the front of the lens at 1:1, which is like 2:1 on FF -
darn good for 2:1.

> You seem to be one tough customer. What exactly would suit your needs? Just
> curious!

The key may be "... primarily since I do very little macro ... Just to show how
little macro I do I haven't even tried
to fit one of these [OM, MF macro lenses] to my E-M5 yet let alone use them."

Close Up Moose

* Which is why it's weatherproof, like the 12-50. MUCH easier to seal without
sliding bits on the outside.