Re: [OM] Way OT --subwoofer wiring question

Subject: Re: [OM] Way OT --subwoofer wiring question
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 22:10:33 -0500
On 9/15/13 22:06 : , usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Have a new Paradigm powered Sub and a new A-V receiver  (AVR) as my
> previous surround sound processor was on its last legs.(generous
> assessment)
> I still want to use my older passive sub sometimes and I can save
> calibration settings for many configurations in the AVR.
> There is one Sub out from the AVR and it has already been pre-amplified
> best I can tell from the manual. I only want to have to fish one
> speaker level amplified line to the passive sub
> on the other side of the room though it has  left and right channel
> inputs.  My plan was to split the Sub out from the AVR, bridge my spare
>   power amp for mono and run that to the
> passive sub.  Seems wasteful to not bridge it and then run (ugh)  two
> lines as I'd have to split the pre-amplified  sub out signal again as
> well. That is question 1 whether bridging for mono is the way to go.
>
>     Is it necessary to  split the output to both the rt and left inputs
> for the passive sub? (question 2)  Not sure what impedances the power
> amp would see and I am way rusty at this.
> One thing cool about the powered sub is that one can calibrate it with
> included software and mic.  Fun if nothing else. Seems a bit more
> accurate but no quick A-B possible.
> They really don't think one uses legacy gear either as no turntable
> preamp included.  (sigh).

If it has L & R inputs, chances are it's a dual-coil driver.  If you
wanted to drive it in mono, which I think you can, you'd just pick one.
Not sure how the power rating works that way.  But you could take the
summed .1 output from the AVR and feed it into the bridged amp, and
drive it that way.  Does your spare amp have bridging circuitry?

What is the older passive sub?  I can look at how it's configured.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard