Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 00:36:09 +1200
Tonight I can't look at many photos or comment much since I am back on dial-up.

> One advantage for the shorter lens that I hadn't thought of at first (but
> which clearly falls out of the calculations) is that, although the full
> frame 120mm lens has a working distance advantage the extension required
> for the 60mm lens is only 90mm from optical center instead of 240mm for
> the full frame lens.  That's a lot of extension which brings its own
> problems beyond working distance.
>
> Finally, while doing this little exercise I referenced John Shaw's book
> "Closeups in Nature" wherein he speaks of the "fear circle".  When you're
> outside the radius of the fear circle little critters ignore you.
>   When you get inside the fear circle they tend to get out of your way
>   quickly.  Long focal length is still the
> answer... but is not without its own set of problems.

However, there is one aspect of macro lenses which I tried to illustrate with
my little
set of equipment shots and resultant photos a couple of weeks ago.

That is the different perspectives of the subject which different focal lengths
provide.
We might tend to think of perspective as a function of focal length with
non-macro
lenses, and ignore this regarding macro, but the same principle applies to
macro.

IMO.

Brian Swale