Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 07:05:33 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>On 9/15/2013 9:05 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
>> The index was fine.  I found it and performed it, and the AF worked up
>> close for a short time, but the problem returned.  I think it is in the
>> lens mechanism, but the E-1 seems to overcome it.  Perhaps the E-1 is
>> smarter than its successors after all.
>
>Still sounds like a poor contact. One lens works on both cameras, the other
>works on one and sometimes on
>the other. You might try a contact cleaning agent other than pencil eraser.
>And make sure all the pins in
>the camera are fully extending.

     Those spring-loaded contacts on the camera body are not necessarily
self-cleaning (and some self-cleaning contacts aren't), and there may be some
slight degree of tarnishing inside them.  With the contact cleaner, go a bit
further than just wiping it on the ends.  Find a syringe, fill it with a small
amount of contact cleaner, then under a magnifier apply it to the body of the
contact, working the contact up and down to work the fluid inside.

     If you can't find contact cleaner in liquid form, just spray some into a
small bottle.  I've had to do this with WD-40 to fill a pump bottle rather than
buy it in the 1-gallon can.

Chris