Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ...revisit to SS

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ...revisit to SS for handheld macro
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:11:12 -0500
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM, <usher99@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> JW writes:
> >>In a practical sense, it doesn't really matter to me which macro is at
> >>hand, but I know that I will handhold a 50 better than a 90 or
> certainly
> >>than the 135.  But if I have a tripod at hand, bring on the long ones.
> >> (Make certain to bring the QR plates, eh Ken? Beat you to it!)
>
> Seems we have a bit of a schism as to whether FL makes a difference
> (independent of mag) in shutter speed required to handholdfor macro
> with Moose and Chuck on one  side and JW and me on another.  I had
> previously thought that Magnification was the true only factor until
> investigated the geometry a tad.
>
> See derivation that FL does indeed matter---
>
> http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2013-09/msg00278.html
>
> I have seen a post by FMer self descirbed as a "recovering physicist"
> that the underyling assumptions
> that lower magnification is just a restricted subset of the macro
> estimation is basically correct though the exponent may be a tad off
> depending on the usual centers of rotation occuring in typical camera
> shake.
>
> Current working estimate then is SS required for about 50% sharp is
> 1/FL *  (1+M)**2.
> Rebuttals?

I'm not sure I'm a reliable ally, Mike.  The longer FL lenses are just
bigger and heavier, which translates into greater risk of camera shake for
me.  So I may be with you, all things being equal, but they aren't for me.

I like that "recovering physicist" guy.  Is it a 10-step or a 12-step
program?  I would prescribe one Wordsworth poem a day, yoga breathing ...

Joel (it worked for J.S. Mill) W.