Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 22:50:31 -0500
On 9/19/13 22:22 : , Moose wrote:
> On 9/19/2013 7:07 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
>> I need recommendations.  Budget - around $800 - $900.  Not talking "Big
>> Beige" for $3k.  Focal length: probably around 150 - 300mm equiv. which
>> should let me shoot in smaller clubs and slightly larger venues.
>>
>> I'm not seeing much native MFT glass that's any faster than f4 or f5.
> I don't believe that what you want exists, nor is likely to. Long and fast
> equals big glass, and is not cheap.
But why not?  Why can't I have long, fast, cheap, and light?  Why??
> The Panny 35-100/2.8 is way over your budget and short on focal length.
Yup.
> About your only options are the 40/45-150/175/200 lenses that are slower than
> you want, but inexpensive.
I may have to live with slower.  I'll have to see how DOF is at the long
end - really helps to open up and isolate a performer.  But, then again,
I'm not being paid for these things, so $10k worth of camera kit isn't
really in the cards.
> Checking on µ4/3 lens options is quite easy on this list.
> <www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lens_chart.html> If it isn't
> there, it doesn't exist.
Just found that. Thanks.
>> Any suggestions?
> Get the 40/45-150/175/200 lens that seems best to you and learn to live with
> high ISOs.

I will narrow my review search to those.  Thanks.  I may also take this
opportunity to pick up the HLD-6, or maybe not.  We'll see.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard