Re: [OM] Moose Arrives In Maine - Locals Amazed

Subject: Re: [OM] Moose Arrives In Maine - Locals Amazed
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 20:52:17 -0700
On 9/19/2013 4:26 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Yes, a good un as well as the Harvest Moon. It is not a bad
> self-protrait in the reflection either.

Thanks!

> I see his Mooseness is carrying a ton of books. What may they be?

Just left the Southwest Harbor Library, where there were books for donations.
Low resistance.
the only one of photographic interest is a book of portraits of older women.
<http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Women-Celebration-Insights-Courage/dp/0821228188/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379648624&sr=8-2&keywords=joyce+tenneson>

A masterful collection of portraits, ranging from uninteresting, to me, through
engaging, to quite powerful. It's nice
to be reminded how great the art of portraiture can be.

> I used my new enhanced deconvolution
> software to  make out just one title: "Principles and Practice for the
> Design of Hybrid image Stabilization Systems with Special Attention to
> Macro-photographic Applications" by C. Colin Backslash. By the time he
> gets to South Hamilton I fully expect him to provide a definitive
> answer to the relevance of focal length or lack thereof to the shutter
> speed required for handheld macro.

This is like the Angels dancing on the head of a pin discussions to me. I
always have IBIS on, which completely negates
any conclusions for non IS situations. Without far more information about how
the IS systems perform, the answer is
unknowable - for my, pragmatic, needs. Sorry C.C.B.

It can be fun to work out theoretical problems, but this one isn't for me.

After today's little visit to the Thuya Gardens, I can say that, with enough
light and slow enough subjects, 1:1 macro
shots (2:1, FF eq.) are possible hand held @ 60 mm or so. I've got some decent
shots of Japanese Beetles making more
beetles, as well as eating various vegetation.

Frightening, I suppose, but we don't have them where I live.

> I will be testing this out on Saturday with my final outing
> with the MA chapter of NABA (No Am B'fly Assoc) and my last chance this
> year to get one nice image of
> the elusive Bronze Copper. I have no images to date.  Perhaps use my
> last 400VC with OM gear as an option depending on conditions.  Need
> about 1:2 or a wee bit more for this little critter.

Good luck!

Un Calculating Moose