Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, my head hurts. Time to ask the group.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:32:13 -0400
What Moose and Sandy said.  If you want the speed and the long focal
length you have (and will have) no choice except to go with a slow 4/3
zoom lens for AF and zoom convenience or an old MF lens for speed but
with its very significant attendant size and weight.  f2.8 at 200 or
300mm is very big and very heavy no matter who makes it.  A click or two
on the ISO dial is a small price to pay to get rid of several pounds of
weight.  A Canon 200/2.8 weighs 1.7 lbs, the 70-200/2.8 weighs 3.8 lbs.
  An old, MF lens may weigh a bit less but consider (at length) the
difficulty of doing away with AF when shooting with a very shallow depth
of field.  At 20 feet and 200/2.8 the DOF (depending on CoC assumptions)
is 3-6 inches.  Not easy work.

Chuck Norcutt