Re: [OM] RANT: Shipping Rates

Subject: Re: [OM] RANT: Shipping Rates
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 19:17:43 -0400
The US postal service is actually very efficient when you consider the
enormous volume of mail it handles. The USA has 320,000,000 people, far
more than ANY country in Europe. The reason it has financial problems is
because of political meddling by congress. Companies like UPS and FedEx
want the Postal Service to be shut down. They lobby (bribe) politicians to
do so, but the USPS is one of the very few institutions of government that
the constitution REQUIRES the government to operate. So, congress passes
laws requiring the USPS to do things that cost a lot of money, like
keeping far more money in their pension fund than they will actually need
to pay postal workers their pensions, while at the same time regulating
postal rates to make sure the USPS cannot generate the income needed to
fund this stuff.

Remember, also, that when you ship overseas, the USPS does not deliver it
to the final destination. They fly it to the other country and hand it to
that country's postal service to deliver.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook