Re: [OM] Another battery data point for the E-M5

Subject: Re: [OM] Another battery data point for the E-M5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:07:07 -0400
On 9/22/2013 10:10 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>> I shot my grandson's soccer game today which proved to be taxing on the
>> E-M5's battery.  ...
> Solution - use an E-3 !!   You'll get HOURS of battery life!!

Let's see: Bigger, heavier camera with more limited DR, poorer IQ, esp. above
base ISO and less effective IS, vs.
carrying a 1.8 oz. battery or two in a pocket ... I'll stick with the E-M5.
(And neither Chuck nor I have any lenses to
fit an E-3.)

The Pens, including the ones with the E-M5 sensor system, also have very long
battery life. I shoot the E-PM2 alongside
the E-M5. Some days it has quite a few more shots than the E-M5, and I have yet
to need a second battery for it. Shorter
battery is mostly the price for superior IBIS.

I think the on/off switches make a difference, too. The more serious, pro
looking, switch on the lower right of the E-M5
body is not particularly convenient for rapid use and the E-M5 has no 'on'
light. I have it set so there is nothing on
the LCD in normal use, so there is no indication whether it is on or off until
I raise it to my eye and half press. If
it has turned off, I need to reach down and turn the switch off then on. I
think I'm going back to never turn off. I'd
rather change batteries more frequently when I forget to turn it off for a few
hours than have the hassle and lost shots.

The E-PM2 has a simple button on top with a light beside it. I am happy to use
it with a much shorter shut off when idle
setting, as I can see as I pick it up whether it is on, turn it on, if
necessary, as I raise it, and my finger is then
right next to the release.

Don't Be Silly Moose