Re: [OM] Speaking of TOPE - The next event

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of TOPE - The next event
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 02:03:38 +1200
Ken wrote:
> Speaking of TOPE...
>
> What say we that we get the next one launched?

Glad you raised this.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and observe that the present format
of the TOPE
event has not so far had quite the same interest and sense of anticipation as
the original
TOPE.. In my opinion.

I think this is due to several factors.
1) We are running out of interesting and achievable topics, unless we are
prepared to
accept that we should be flexible enough to repeat some more popular themes one
or
more times - take 'landscape' for example. To my mind to run this theme only
once, ever,
is a pathetic response to photographer interest.
2) The cutoff time was not strictly observed.
3) The period of anonymity of photographer, followed by the overnight release
of names,
heightened interest. Without that, there is less interest.

My first, more obvious, thoughts.

Brian Swale