Re: [OM] IMG: Africa

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Africa
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:57:37 -0400
On 9/26/2013 6:11 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> I don't know what causes the blue halo around the trees behind Leo. Any
>> ideas? Or how to fix it?
> Looks like classic longitudinal chromatic aberration. A bit of quick
> research show this lens does have this especially wide open. Was that
> the case?

Whether all LCA or not, blooming of bright background onto fine detail of hair,
branches, etc. is pretty common.

I believe it can occur because of lens aberrations, such as LCA, poor handling
of highlight clipping in sensor systems,
halation in film and possibly flare in Nikon scanners. With so many possible
sources, nailing down a specific culprit is
tough.

In this case, it's not just in the trees. Leo's mane, where it is silhouetted
against the sky is also pretty blue.

Correction isn't particularly difficult in PS. I made a duplicate layer,
desaturated blue a lot in it, masked it all
black, then painted in over the blue areas.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Leo.htm>

No Longer Blue Moose