Re: [OM] Turntable Ferry

Subject: Re: [OM] Turntable Ferry
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:44:57 +0100
On 28/09/2013 17:32, Chris Trask wrote:

>> So that you can drive on or off forwards, Chris.  You might find it
>> difficult to reverse on to that sort of quay.
>>

>       Does the ferry turn around in mid-stream, or is the other quay on the
> same side?  In all ferrys that I've seen, you drive on to one end and off the
> other.  But then, they all had propellers on both ends, so if this one has
> just a single propeller then the turntable makes sense.
>

> Chris

If you look at Bob's ferry photos, you'll get the idea. You don't drive
off the end of the ferry, the ferry comes alongside and the turntable
rotates, then you drive off at an angle onto the jetty. The ramps on the
ferry usually are different shapes, left and right.

I'm not sure if the Corran ferry is turntable, and can't remember if
Ballachulish was, as it's so long ago.

They work pretty well for those little crossings and jetties.

D.

--
http://www.skelpitheid.com/index.php