Re: [OM] IMG: Guess what?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Guess what?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 07:50:31 -0600
> Hey, I was 3/4 of the way there - I was the first to spot it was an
> ultrasonic bath, recognised that they were woodwind reeds and oboe is the
> right branch of woodwind.

I thought it was pretty obvious right from the beginning. The device
itself is labeled "Ultrasonic Cleaner" and those looked like reeds and
I know he plays the bassoon.

Reeds are finicky things. They seem to take a while to settle in and
become properly pliable. I can imagine that this method of cleaning is
probably a good compromise as it removes the surface nasties, but the
wood itself retains the worn-in traits.

Or not. Hey, I played french horn. We had our own issues. My sister
and I both had custom Sanders mouthpieces made which allow for
extended range (1-2 octaves, depending on the person's lip structure)
and greater breath control (probably about 1/3 less air required).
Fortunately, we didn't have to mess with reeds.

Hmm. Now that's an interesting thought. What about a french horn
mouthpiece on a bassoon?

Just say "No".

--
Ken Norton