Re: [OM] Keeping Your Laptop Plugged in All the Time Will Kill Its Batte

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping Your Laptop Plugged in All the Time Will Kill Its Battery Faster
From: "tOM Trottier" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 15:58:06 -0400
Recent Dell laptops ( I have a 5720) also have an option to keep the battery at
about
78% of full charge while plugged in. Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries wear
out faster
kept at 100% / 4.2volts.

This applies to laptops and phones and others. Electric cars never charge to
4.2v/cell
because the battery life is so reduced. On Android, you can use the Battery
Monitor
Widget to signal when it has reached a certain recharge level (use max voltage
"4334"
for ~76%).

But it's not just the device. The powerbrick transformers consume some power
even
when no device is attached! Some power supplies do turn off when no load, but
most just
use power all the time. That's the main reason instructions read "Unplug power
supply
when battery full."

You can get some smart "greenpower" strips which turn off all other outlets
when one
(the computer) outlet is asleep/hibernating/off. E.g.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MDP800-Powercenter-8-Outlet-Rating

tOM

2013 Oct 03 - Thu at 7:25       re:Re: [OM] Keeping Your Laptop Plugged in All
the T …
C.H.Ling <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote …
…

--
  _~o           "It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the
 _-\<,_         contours of a country best,