Re: [OM] Puzzlement and 4WD

Subject: Re: [OM] Puzzlement and 4WD
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 10:02:09 -0600
> I'm glad that it was a successful outing, Ken.  But that
> narrow-road-turning-in-the-dark sounds a little hairy.

The concept of "hairy" is quite variable. Maybe I should describe a
bit better and you can judge for yourself:

1. Ground clearance limitations would prevent a Camry from driving it.

2. 2WD vehicles may not make it due to lack of traction combined with
the steepness.

3. Dips and rocks require careful wheel placement to prevent underside
damage and high-centering.

4. Road width was only 50% greater than the X5's width.

5. At times, the sideways slope angle was greater than 20 degrees

6. Trail steepness was at the limit of the X5's ability to move
forward. Major slippage. On the return trip downhill, locking up the
brakes the vehicle would still slide forward.

7. Turns were tight enough that it required full lock steering.

8. Trees on the downslope to slow down the roll.

So, based on #8, it was a piece of cake.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx