Re: [OM] IMG Optical distortion in M43 drives me mad

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG Optical distortion in M43 drives me mad
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 08:29:29 -0600
> I suspect they did better in Venice where thousands of tree-trunks were used
> as piles. But
> they didn't have even swamp to start with, I suspect. Just shallow water. And
> mosquitoes.

Wood pilings have been very effective at keeping Venice "above water".
There's been a lot of piling replacement going on to keep buildings
standing, but it's amazing what even a few pilings can do.

Case in point would be the massive ore docks up on Lake Superior. One
of the very last super massive ones has been being deconstructed in
Ashland, Wisconson. It was a reinforced concrete structure 80' high,
75' wide and 1800' long. Built to dump trainloads of iron ore into
freighters. The entire structure set on wood pilings.

In Amsterdam, I suspect that most of those buildings rely on the
neighboring buildings to stay standing. You can't do much to one
without it affecting an entire street.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx