Re: [OM] Scotland 2, wider angle

Subject: Re: [OM] Scotland 2, wider angle
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:36:50 -0500
Chris Barker recently posted:

"Thanks for jumping in, Brian.  Although I respect your opinion as an
expert in this field (ho, ho), but I thought that Scotland was forested
with mainly deciduous trees in the distant past, and that Scots Pines were
a relatively modern introduction to the region.

I'll need to go and do some research: for instance, what types of tree
covered the region before the clearances, and how long before?"

     What this OM List needs is a good palynologist--someone who can
identify tree, grass, and other pollen grains preserved for millennia in
accumulated lake sediments.  That would tell what sort of trees were
growing in Scotland in the past.  I'll see if I can shake one out of the
woodwork.
Dean