Re: [OM] Soctland 2, wider angle

Subject: Re: [OM] Soctland 2, wider angle
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:15:02 +1300
Chris Barker wrote:

> Thanks for jumping in, Brian.  Although I respect your opinion as an
> expert in this field (ho, ho), but I thought that Scotland was forested
> with mainly deciduous trees in the distant past, and that Scots Pines were
> a relatively modern introduction to the region.
>
> I'll need to go and do some research: for instance, what types of tree
> covered the region before the clearances, and how long before?
>
> Chris

Hi all, Please read through this article ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_pine

I'm pleased to note that my memory wasn't far off the mark.

I had wondered about the influence of bog formation - most pines will not
tolerate bog at all
well, but wasn't sure enough of my remembered facts to mention it.

It's a longish article but worth reading through - was for me anyway.

Brian Swale