Re: [OM] Sony A7 mirrorless FF body announced

Subject: Re: [OM] Sony A7 mirrorless FF body announced
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:14:42 -0600
I'm going to respond to Daniel's and Moose's posts in one shot.

Moose wrote:
> I'll believe it when I see the first image from your own 7r. ;-)

Well, the difference is that now there is actually a camera that I can
feel as though it meets my requirements AND desires. As brilliant as
some of these cameras are, they aren't full-frame. That happens to be
a deal-breaker for me. I really don't want to be buying the new shiny
every six months. I would like the next digital camera purchase to be
identified, going in, as a long-term buy. Any crop-sensor camera
wouldn't be that for me. I've been using crop-sensor cameras from the
beginning and I'm ready for the real deal.

And Daniel wrote:
> Now if only someone can figure out how to make a mount adapter that reads and
> activates the aperture mechanism from legacy systems.

EVFs have pretty much gotten to the point of sufficiency. There will
always be better, but I think we've finally gotten where they are no
longer a hinderance. Sony's have been outstanding, anyway. I've always
been a fan of EVF and that love of them goes way back when only video
cameas had them. I don't think I've ever told this list, but I had
juryrigged a video camera up to an SLR somewhere around 1980. So, it's
just been a matter of time.

Which brings me to Moose's and Daniel's statement/question. With
live-view and a satisfactorily sensitive sensor, the need for an
automatic aperture stopdown mechanism is just about eliminated.
Everybody hitching legacy lenses on the E-M5 is showing that it works
pretty well. At issue, though is that when you are stopped down a lot,
critical focus is difficult as you don't have the narrow DoF to
assist. Otherwise, live-view with legacy lenses works quite well and
is improving with every single camera that comes out.

The only thing that bothers me about the new Sony is that it is a
Sony. The disidence is rattling,I know, but I would prefer that this
be done by Canon.

So, it's now just a matter of me finding the funds for this beasty.
It's an ugly beast, though.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx