Re: [OM] (OM) Vintage '63

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Vintage '63
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 00:34:38 +1300
Don wrote;

> Thanks, Brian.  I've only seen one Matchless.......single cylinder 500, I
> think........long time ago, nice bike.  The B models I remember were
> singles, about 300cc.  We generally worked on the 650 A machines.
>
> ----- Original Message -----From: Brian Swale
>
> Don wrote & quote http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=308 & quote
> & quote Needing a vintage photo for the local camera club meeting, I shot
> this  which had lots of chrome. Unable to handle the
> reflections, etc, I resorted to edge effects in the
> editor.........at least it's different.

The UK 4-stroke motors regardless of make were usually 350, 500, 650, 850,
1000cc.

500s could be single or twin cylinder, 650 and up were at least twin.

My Matchless had a rigid rear end, sprung at the front only. Had a great run
from it.

The most exciting bike I ever rode was an AJS 7R 350? single that somebody had
left
apparently abandoned at a forest camp I spent the summer of 1960 at.

That thing could do 70 (mph) in 2nd without even trying. And two more gears to
go.

A friend of more recent years once owned one. The last he heard of it it had
found its way to
Australia 20 years ago and changed hands then for $40,000. Such is a rare
racing bike.

Brian Swale