Re: [OM] IMG: Family Reunion

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Family Reunion
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:04:02 -0600
>  Having grown up in the SE USA I'm pretty familiar with small arms, so the
> scene doesn't bother me much. What does bother me is the failure to make
> sure the weapon is safe. I wouldn't consider passing a semi-automatic
> pistol without first removing the magazine and pulling the slide to make
> sure there isn't a round in the chamber. It only takes one mistake.

I was also noticing that, as well as Steve's comment about handle
first. It's hard to say, looking at this photograph which way it want,
but to my eye, it appears to be going right to left. I know that the
handle-first thinking isn't universally accepted. It does look like
there is a concerted effort, however, to make sure that it was aimed
towards somebody across the room and not each other.

It's not just the SE USA. It's pretty well everywhere. But some
regions are a little bit more open about it. It's socially acceptable
to have a couple of guns in the rear window of your pickup truck and a
couple pistols on the body. (One exposed, one ankle holster).

It really does come down to "social acceptance". While some of you
might be all worked up over it, it's pretty normal to them. On the
flip side, there are things which are socially acceptable to you which
they'll get all worked up over.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx