Re: [OM] (OM) Comedy of errors.

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Comedy of errors.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:20:24 -0400
I'm skeptical but give it a try.  It just might work.  Under the same
conditions as shooting the violinist at, say, 2.2 meters and 100mm f/5.6
the A1 should allow shooting at 25mm and (guesstimate) wide open at
f/3.2.  That would give a slight (10%) depth of field advantage to the
A1 along with a 1-2/3 stop advantage for exposure.  The A1 also has
"anti-shake" image stabilization, an advantage over your manual Zuikos.

The drawbacks to the A1 are a maximum ISO of 800 which, along with the
1-2/3 stop advantage of shooting at f/3.2 gives the equivalent exposure
of ISO 2500.  Sounds good but the drawback is that the A1's ISO 800 is
really noisy.  Another problem is that the A1's very early contrast
detect autofocus works poorly in low light.  It might be necessary to
focus on some brighter proxy and then switch to manual focus to keep the
camera from focus hunting.

I suspect the E3 with an autofocus lens with 50-100mm range and set on
maximum ISO will still win the contest... but I could be wrong.

Chuck Norcutt