Re: [OM] Sony A7 mirrorless FF body announced

Subject: Re: [OM] Sony A7 mirrorless FF body announced
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:38:45 -0400

On 10/20/2013 10:20 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hmmm,  the optical engineering/tester types consistently report that
> the short registration distance cams
> are much more subject to errors in the adapters.

I can't argue with that but I don't know why.

> The angular displacement will result in lens elements being more
> displaced off axis in a longer adapter but that was my conjecture for
> the reason the short registrations cams being more sensitive to
 > adapter perturbations.

But I will argue with that.  The lens (as a whole) is off-axis but the
lens *elements* are not off-axis relative to each other.  The lens is
still capable of forming as good an image as ever except the image is
tilted *very slightly* to the image plane of the sensor.  I contend
that, as long as it's well within the depth of focus, there is no
visible problem.  But if might be visible if pixel peeping at 100% vs.
studying a real photo of a 3D target.  And, as I said before, the error
at the sensor plane is an angular error and independent of the length of
the adapter.

Come to think of it, you're the guy who is much into tilting lenses
*way* off-axis using your custom adapters.  Your tilted lenses to not
create distorted images but they do focus parts of the image at
different distances.

Chuck Norcutt