Re: [OM] Sony A7 mirrorless FF body announced

Subject: Re: [OM] Sony A7 mirrorless FF body announced
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:12:25 -0600
Maybe he is referring to the microlenses over each sensel, because
that would most certainly be true. Some cameras are designed with this
in mind, so the microlenses are offset more and more the farther away
from the center of the sensor they are. The manufacturer determines
what the typical position of the exit optic is and positions the
microlenses accordingly.

This may finally start to be becoming a lesser issue as "backlit"
sensors come more and more into play and also sensors where the
individual sensels are tuned to a wavelength rather than use filters.
As sensors become more "flat", they start to mimick the
characteristics of film even more.

The next frontier in sensor development will be the multi-color
sensors. Instead of using an RGB detection matrix, they will start to
use the extreme pixel count to advantage by implementing an RGBCYMK
matrix. As it is right now, the gammut is limited in the derived
colors.

AG

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/20/2013 10:20 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hmmm,  the optical engineering/tester types consistently report that
>> the short registration distance cams
>> are much more subject to errors in the adapters.
>
> I can't argue with that but I don't know why.
>>
>> The angular displacement will result in lens elements being more
>> displaced off axis in a longer adapter but that was my conjecture for
>> the reason the short registrations cams being more sensitive to
>  > adapter perturbations.
>
> But I will argue with that.  The lens (as a whole) is off-axis but the
> lens *elements* are not off-axis relative to each other.  The lens is
> still capable of forming as good an image as ever except the image is
> tilted *very slightly* to the image plane of the sensor.  I contend
> that, as long as it's well within the depth of focus, there is no
> visible problem.  But if might be visible if pixel peeping at 100% vs.
> studying a real photo of a 3D target.  And, as I said before, the error
> at the sensor plane is an angular error and independent of the length of
> the adapter.
>
> Come to think of it, you're the guy who is much into tilting lenses
> *way* off-axis using your custom adapters.  Your tilted lenses to not
> create distorted images but they do focus parts of the image at
> different distances.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
> --

Ken Norton