Re: [OM] OT: New Panny µ43

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: New Panny µ43
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:15:45 -0700
On 10/21/2013 9:57 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I have to say that this is a very tempting little offering from Panny:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gm1/2
>
> It's almost a replacement for my smaller cameras, S100 and X10, with a larger
> sensor than either.

An interesting camera.

My Oly E-PM2 has virtually entirely replaced my compact cameras. The S100 went
along for our month in New England, but
it only took three shots, and has otherwise only been used once since March. So
for me, the small µ4/3 camera has indeed
been a replacement.

Comparing the E-PM2 and GM-1, there is no clear winner, to my mind, and a
couple of questions.

1. E-PM2 has IBIS. the GM-1 has none in body or kit lens. This is a pretty big
deal to me. Some other Panny lenses have
OIS, but Oly lenses don't.

2. Neither kit lens automatically extends like the S100 and other compacts. The
Panny doesn't have a lock like the Oly
14-42, but still requires manual action to extend it into operational position.
This means either carrying them around
extended or slowing down use.

Although larger in diameter and like a compact camera lens to zoom, by lever, I
prefer the Panny 14-42 Z lens, which
extends and retracts automatically

3. Shutter gets interesting. The tiny new Panny electro/mech design should
eliminate shutter shock. Yet to be seen is
whether the electronic first curtain, and electronic second curtain above
1/500, will have trouble with moving targets.

Most Pannys to date and all Olys suffer from shutter shock, generally worse on
the Pannys. The Olys have a cure, but it
slows down shutter response. If it works well, this is an exciting development.
A couple of prior Pannys have EFC, but
with limitations.

In 'serious' use, the E-PM2 usually has the 12-50 mounted, and E-M5 with 75-300
hanging beside it.

4. Flash. The GM-1 has only a pop-up, no shoe. The E-PM2 has no flash, but has
a shoe and comes with a very compact
flash powered by the camera through the shoe. Although resistant to flash, I've
used the Oly one a few times, including
in a cave, and although not powerful, it works well within its power limit.
It's rated to 7 m, and the GM-1 to 4 m, so
it must be really weak.

5. Screen. The 3", 1 MP screen of the GM-1 is undoubtedly better than the
goofy, supposedly 3", 460,000 px screen of the
Oly, which is really 2.5", 345,000 px of viewing area for stills.

6. Controls. Both are minimalist. The GM-1 has a mode dial, Unless strongly
detented, that may be a negative for a
camera slipped into and out of pockets, etc. The ones on the E-PL3 (and
probably 5) are too easily bumped/pushed to a
different setting.

The GM-1 has one function button. The E-PM2 has two, as the movie record button
may be programmed as a function button
when not in movie mode. I use Fn1 for MF-AF and Record for magnify. The focus
mode switch and Fn1 button of the GM-1 can
probably be used for the same thing.

7. Size. The E-PM2 is larger than the GM-1, but by very little.

8. Battery life. The E-PM2, like other Pens before it, has seemingly endless
battery life. I carry two spare batteries
for the E-M5. In full kit, I carry one spare for the E-PM2, but have yet to
need it. The GM-1 is rated lower.

9. The E-PM2 can use WiFi enabled SD cards. WiFi is built-on on the GM-1. The
preview doesn't indicate whether the WiFi
may be used for remote control.

Comparative Moose