Re: [OM] Nikon film scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Nikon film scanners
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 21:02:30 -0400
Win7/XP mode caveats: see
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7#section_1>

Which says in part:
Windows XP Mode follows the same support lifecycle as Windows
XP—extended support will end April 8, 2014. For more info, see the
Windows lifecycle fact sheet.

Some hardware and devices that work in Windows 7 might not be detected
or work in Windows XP Mode.

So, even if you get it working, XP (real or virtual) is still
unsupported after April 8, 2014.  From what I've read I think the only
devices you have a good chance of getting to work are USB devices.

If I had an expensive Nikon scanner and didn't want to run VueScan I'd
dedicate a low cost XP machine to the task and leave the XP machine off
the internet.  The main problem with XP coming off support is lack of
fixes for security vulnerabilities.  If it runs your scanner today it
should still run your scanner tomorrow.  Just don't throw it open to the
wolves on the net.  Can the wolves get to the virtual version?  I dunno
but think its better to just not go there.

Chuck Norcutt