Re: [OM] (OM) Two pics prepared for submission to Art Exhibition

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Two pics prepared for submission to Art Exhibition
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 03:23:37 +1300
On 30 August 2013 I wrote that I was submitting two of my pictures to a
nation-wide
exhibition hosted locally here in Central Otago, at Alexandra (just 7 km from
where I sit right
now).  See:

and

http://www.centralotagoarts.com
http://www.centralotagoarts.com/events/2013-10/arts-gold-awards-exhibition.848/

The judges selected 45 entries from the 238 submitted.

I went to the opening last night - and history was made - a photographer won
the top award,
with an evocative B&W image.  Eric Schusser and a nearly-abstract agricultural
scene.

The judges did not place any weight on conventional art, and certainly little
weight on
representational landscapes; although I recall one amazing stitched (144
images) landscape
of a hoar-frosty valley with mist, which had been subjected to extreme HDR and
printed on
fine canvas.

I don't know if I'll ever enter again with my style of work as it is at present.

For these judges, and maybe it's the state of "art" here in NZ currently, a
worthy image MUST
have a deeper meaning and a story. Many of these as printed in the award
catalogue came
close to being BS to my simple and literal mind.

Here's what Eric wrote in support of his image ... (which I am unable at
present to show a
copy of)
"Hat Bale Wrapper #1  460 x 650 mm. The humble hay bale wrapping, that iconic
rural New
Zealand product - protects the hay, blasted by the wind and weather, it reveals
a subtlety, a
texture, an ambiguity, even a sensuality."

Others were rather extreme.

So that was interesting. And i had a great conversation with a guy who had
supported his
growing family rather well through small-scale gold-mining - after all this
time of mining in this
area.

The other art works in

Flower studies - to be auctioned at a Secondary (High) School affair - that
came to nothing -
it was cancelled / deferred until 2014. I heard that there had been only 7
entries, and the one
staff member allocated to running it was grossly over-worked.
Watch this space, is the story, I guess.

Brian Swale