Re: [OM] (OM) Two pics prepared for submission to Art Exhibition

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Two pics prepared for submission to Art Exhibition
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 16:11:06 +0100
I feel your disappointment, Brian.  I had a look at Eric Shusser’s work, on
ericshusser.com and some of it is pretty good; some tends towards cliché and
all of his work seems to be substantially processed.  I’d say that he was
probably a worthy winner, if the judges were looking for something like that.

I hope that the flowers bit takes place.

Chris

On 25 Oct 2013, at 15:23, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 30 August 2013 I wrote that I was submitting two of my pictures to a
> nation-wide
> exhibition hosted locally here in Central Otago, at Alexandra (just 7 km from
> where I sit right
> now).  See:
>
> and
>
> http://www.centralotagoarts.com
> http://www.centralotagoarts.com/events/2013-10/arts-gold-awards-exhibition.848/
>
> The judges selected 45 entries from the 238 submitted.
>
> I went to the opening last night - and history was made - a photographer won
> the top award,
> with an evocative B&W image.  Eric Schusser and a nearly-abstract
> agricultural scene.
>
> The judges did not place any weight on conventional art, and certainly little
> weight on
> representational landscapes; although I recall one amazing stitched (144
> images) landscape
> of a hoar-frosty valley with mist, which had been subjected to extreme HDR
> and printed on
> fine canvas.
>
> I don't know if I'll ever enter again with my style of work as it is at
> present.
snip