Re: [OM] IMGs: Restored 1974 Peugeot AO8 Road Bike - Gitane?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Restored 1974 Peugeot AO8 Road Bike - Gitane?
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 13:49:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I still have one such bike at the far end of my cellar at Metz
>
>Here it is, unused for so many years ...
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Playground/Cycles+Gitanes-4168.jpg.html
>
>Was that one considered any good back then over there?

     Yes, it certainly was.  They sponsored more winning Tour de France teams
than anyone else until the Japanese manufacturers moved into the market.  Most
of the Gitanes you see for sale here are the low end Gran Tour Delux model.  I
have a c1968 Tour de France model.

     I really like the colour of yours, and the paint looks unblemished.  Mine
is white, and I replaced the Japanese Dia Compe brakes and Suntour derailleurs,
and shifters with French MAFAC and Simplex parts.

Chris