Re: [OM] Mea Maxima Culpa and PIE, was: Pervasive Windows file system bu

Subject: Re: [OM] Mea Maxima Culpa and PIE, was: Pervasive Windows file system bug and E-M5 date/time failure
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 12:45:59 -0800
On 11/4/2013 8:42 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Moose's mention of PIE reminded me that he had mentioned it before.  I
> had downloaded it, started configuring it but never finished, never used
> it and the forgot about it.  Fortunately, I decided to download the
> latest version and try again.

Every once in a while, that Moose is useful. :-) ;-)

>   ... I suddenly noticed that the the last 5 files displayed had really
> odd file names.  Rather than P followed by digits it was PA followed by
> digits.  I didn't understand that so went back to the E-M5 manual to
> review file naming conventions... something to which I had never paid
> much attention.  That's when I discovered that the default file naming
> conventions (dumb as far as I'm concerned) use a single character month
> code in the second position and a two digit month code in positions 3
> and 4.

You have misunderstood the coding.

First character is always an underscore character if it's aRGB. For sRGB, it
defaults to 'P', but may be set to other
characters in Menu H=>Edit Filename

Second character is, by default, month, as you have described.* Or it may be
set to what you like.

Third and fourth characters are, by default, day of the month. Or each may be
set to what you like.

I have to say I rather like the system. It gives some flexibility for the user.
With the defaults, if a file gets
misplaced in the file system, a glance tells me what day it was made.

However, now that the image count has recently gone over 9999, I'm thinking
about changing 3-4 to '01' and renaming
those already taken.

> Argggh!!!  Sorry for the wild goose chase.  I've learned a lesson and
> hope you gained something too.

:-)

> As to PIE, I like it now that I've figured out how to make it do the
> same things that Downloader Pro was doing for me.  My download
> convention is to create folders with a date and subject such as:
> "2013-11-01 - Silver dishes"  PIE can do exactly that (and much more)
> but is better than Downloader Pro.

Exactly! I looked at DP, but didn't think it was that great. And PIE is free.

> Both pick up the photo dates to
> create unique folders for each date.  But Downloader Pro only prompts
> once for a title and applies the same title to all dates encountered in
> the download.  PIE prompts for a new title every time the date changes
> and also shows you a thumbnail of the first image to serve as a reminder
> about the subject.  One minor downside is that you have to monitor the
> download if you have more than one date.

Only if you append extra info. If the directory name is date only, it downloads
all dates without stopping.

> But, overall, you can't beat it because it's free and also does lots of other
> stuff.

Yup

Numerological Moose

* And a nice homage to the  date of manufacture coding of OMs.