Re: [OM] IMG: Bar Mitzvah

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Bar Mitzvah
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 00:13:42 -0800
Thanks, Ken.

No, that *other* ceremony to which you refer takes place a few days
after a boy is born, so hopefully, he does not remember a thing. :-)

Bar Mitzvah (and Bat Mitzvah for girls) is a Jewish life cycle event for
13 year-olds. The young man is reading from a Torah scroll (the first
five books of the Bible, written in Hebrew on parchment). His relatives
read blessings before and after each reading. The ceremony marks the
young person's passage into adulthood, ritually speaking. It's also a
great excuse for a party and for all one's extended family to show up
and bring presents.

I just had to make a black and white version of this one:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/10694234615/>

--Peter