Re: [OM] Redneck

Subject: Re: [OM] Redneck
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 05:52:22 -0700
I'm still trying to find a large corporate farm. It's strange, because
living in Iowa where a quarter of the world's top grade soil is located,
you'd think that every acre would be owned by some multinational company.

The reality is that a Large Corporate Farm here is a family owned operation
of a couple thousand acres where half might be owned and half rented. It's
incorporated, yes, but the owners are the farming family itself.

The government may pay for some land to be set aside, but all that does is
provide a budget buffer for the farmer. My FIL never took a subsidy,
because he always found other ways to make idle land earn money.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx