Re: [OM] Redneck

Subject: Re: [OM] Redneck
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 16:45:10 -0700
> Now there's a major energy loss. As any biologist/ecologist (pointy-headed or
> round headed) will tell you that you're converting 1kg of grain into 100g of
> meat (the 10% rule) and the food energy loss in feed lotting is HUGE. I'd
> like to thank Macdonalds, at this point, for introducing the feedlot to
> Australia - it's not the biggest argument I have with them but it's one.

But that doesn't have anything to do with ethanol. That's a food
culture issue. Iowa is now the biggest egg production location in the
world, I think. You want to talk "factory farm"? An egg production
facility is a factory. Something like 15-25000 hens in a single
building, with rows and rows of buildings. There's one that
single-handedly stopped the construction of several ethanol plants
because the demand for corn is so high for it that it uses up almost
all the grain produced between Des Moines and Iowa City.

But, again, this has nothing to do with fuels, but food culture. I
look at it this way, as long as there are steaks, there will be demand
for something to feed those steaks.

Unfortunately, one of the studies against ethanol had the audacity to
include transportation costs of the mash-fed cattle to market. Huh?
I'm long since forgotten which study that was, but it showed me that
the ENTIRE study was suspect and failed my review.

Can we return to regular programming?

AG