Re: [OM] Spare wheels, was Scratch one BMW

Subject: Re: [OM] Spare wheels, was Scratch one BMW
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 10:38:44 +0000
Ian

If that were the argument, it would be twice the probability, not half.  But of
course a car’s speed is no indication of the whereabouts of a deer, of which
way it is walking or whether it is considering the chances of sex in the near
future :-)

I’m saying that the higher your speed the more likely you are to hit a deer
that has made itself susceptible to such a collision by being there: sex or no
sex, it will avoid a noisy machine if it notices it.  And the faster you are
going if you hit said animal, the more severe will be damage  to each party to
said collision.

And, if you are travelling fast the probability of your having an accident is
higher, whatever your expertise, than if you were driving more slowly.  Driving
fast reduces the probability of your arriving safely at your destination, with
a similar effect on someone else on the road.

Chris