Re: [OM] [OT] 20W oil, was spare wheels, deer and BMWs, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] 20W oil, was spare wheels, deer and BMWs, etc.
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 07:36:43 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>But the lower number is the measure of viscosity at low temperatures.  If you
>live in Arizona, perhaps 20w
>is a good figure, but for the chillier climes of northern Europe, 5W or 10W
>seems to be better.  The top
>figure for me is normally 30, again because it doesn’t need to maintain
>viscosity at very high temperatures.
>Again, Chris T’s 50 is probably just right for Arizona’s climate.  But then I
>don’t know if it gets cold at
>night in Arizona in either of its 2 seasons.

     We occasionally see temperatures below freezing here in Phoenix, more
often in Tucson, and certainly in Flagstaff.  20-50 oil is ideal for our
climate extremes.  My 2000 Toyota pickup still uses no oil even after 190,000
miles, and will probably continue to do so as long as I do all the mechanical
work on it.  If the engine ever gives out I'll have it short-blocked with a
rebuilt engine from Japan.

Chris