Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 2/11/2013: Louisiana

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 2/11/2013: Louisiana
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 16:38:27 -0800
On 11/3/2013 9:58 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> No, it is Henry Moore:
>
> http://www.henry-moore.org/works-in-public/world/denmark/humlebaek/louisiana-museum-of-modern-art/two-piece-reclining-figure-1963-64-lh-517
>
> They have Calder too. And lots of other artists. This is one of the world's
> great art museums

Not going to argue with that.

>   and certainly the most beautifully located one.

Weeeelll.   Have you been to the Fine Arts Museums of SF? The DeYoung in Golden
Gate Park is in an awfully pretty
location. The building itself? Well I fall on the negative side of opinion. It
also has a sculpture garden outside the
restaurant.

Then there's their Palace of Fine Arts Museum, sited spectacularly atop a hill
on the NW edge of the city, with views of
the Golden Gate, it's Bridge (from the ocean side) the Marin headlands, the
City and the Pacific. Also quite
moody/mysterious when it's foggy.

I haven't been to the Getty as yet, but the site and view look pretty fine.

Been to The Cloisters? It's the Met's north Manhattan building for their
Medieval collection, parts of the building
being imported medieval cloisters. Set high above the Hudson River in a large,
beautiful park, with views across the
river to the NJ Palisades.

Then there's San Simeon's Hearst Castle. A museum? Perhaps not so labeled and
operated, but the buildings themselves are
museum worthy, and full of art, including whole rooms imported from Europe and
reassembled within it. And the grounds
and overall setting are truly spectacular.

I know I've missed at least a few.

I'd agree with "... and certainly one of the most beautifully located ones."

Beautiful Vistas Moose