Re: [OM] Partial Solar Eclipse

Subject: Re: [OM] Partial Solar Eclipse
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 11:56:32 +0100
> When we get closer, I'll watch the forecasts.  There are a number of
spots
> along the path that are approximately the same driving distance.
Actually,
> Sheri would like to look at the map and pick a spot that's more exciting
> than Steeleville - she may have a point there.

That remimds me my trip for the 1999 total solar eclipse in Europe.
IIRC, the eclipse was on a Wednesday, and I left Milan on Monday to reach
Munich. We spent the afternoon and evening with an ex-colleague wich was
living there. Duting the night it started raining. So on Tuesday morning,
(with a wet inside tent), I had to phone home to my sister to know the
weather forecast (I gave her my laptop and the instruction on how to
connect
to the internet via phone dialup). An hour later the answer: bad weather
in Germany, Austria and Hungary. Only chance of good weather was for
Romania.
So we decided to go to Romania and left Munich at around 1PM - some 24
hours
before the eclipse. I had to drive with bad weather in Germany and
Austria,
in the night from around Budapest, then after Budapest the motorway ended,
and we arrived at the Romanian border after some 12 hours. We had to make
visa, we had some hassle but eventually we could drive away. I don't
remember much from that night except that it started to rain again, the
road was really bad, and there were people on the road. Fortunately at the
end of the night the weather improved, and the sun was shining when in a
small village, at around 7.30AM and some 100-150 Km from the destination,
the traffic was totally jammed. As the time passed I feared we could miss
the eclipse, and only one and half hours later, when we could drive again,
we saw that the problem was an accident between 2 trucks that obstructed
the whole road. So we eventually arrived in Rimnicu Valcea where the
totality was the longest at 11AM, found a suitable place in the parking
lot
of the zoo, mounted the equatorial support and finally slept for one hour.
The place was really quiet, we enjoyed the eclipse but only when returned
home I discovered that for the second time in my life (and last until now)
the film wasn't engaged :-( However as tiring the trip was I'd do it
again because the experience of the eclipse was really breathtaking.

Ralf