Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - new Pic up

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - new Pic up
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 20:05:11 -0800
On 11/1/2013 7:38 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
> I'm getting better at it, but it's still a bit challenging, especially if
> the artist moves around a lot.  I've programmed the Fn2 button to be the
> focus-zoom thingy, since it's easy enough to slide the finger over and hit
> it while my eye is at the viewfinder.  It will get easier when I get more
> comfortable with the focus depth.  For now, I usually use the wire mesh
> ball of the microphone as a starting point.  When I get that sharp, I can
> move a bit and try to find a pattern on a shirt, or guitar strap, or
> performer's hair, and tweak it.
>
> If they don't move around a lot, I can just keep shooting (spray and pray)
> and hope to get some interesting expressions.  With the crowd there, it was
> difficult to get into the exact position I needed - I really needed to be
> back a bit to get more of the person in the photo.

Have you tried the pseudo focus peaking trick? I think Frank first posted this
link.
<http://www.43rumors.com/how-to-fake-an-e-m5-peaking-mode/>

Set to shoot Raw, with or without JPEG, set to Art Filter "Key Line". The EVF
image will now show black lines/outlines
in area that are in focus. When you shoot, any JPEG will have the filter effect
applied, but the Raw file will be
unaffected.

Better with some subjects than others. Takes a bit of getting used to to pay
attention only to framing and the black
lines. Extremely accurate.

O. O. F. Moose