Re: [OM] Greetings from the 19th Century

Subject: Re: [OM] Greetings from the 19th Century
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 06:13:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Well, you've heard me joke about my rusty wire. It's no joke.The submarine
>cable went TU on Tues. and we're still without long distance phone, local
>cell service, internet and email. I have set up my "office" on a hill
>overlooking the Straits where I get line-of-sight to the Olympic Penn.
>Finally cobbled together 911 service now. I'm at the library where there
>is a hot spot set up. Place is packed. Banks are closed. No credit cards,
>yada, yada. Don't miss it until it's gone :(
>
>Hope CenturyLink gets raked over the coals for lack of a backup.

     I'll have to remember to think of them as 19th Century Link from now on.
:{b

     I've had a similar problem here for years.  Most of the telephone lines
are pole-to-pole except for a 200-foot underground run of jacketed cable.
Years ago my phone would go dead whenever we had a quarter inch or more of
rain.  Took them two years before they patched me over to an unused pair in the
cable.  Not one of the service techs ever had a TDR to test for where the short
was.  I told the last service tecj that I could rig one up with a pulse
generator, 'scope, and decade box if she liked.  She declined, but then fixed
the problem.  Now, though, the line has been moderately noisy for over a year.

     A month ago 19th Century Link talked the owner of this coffee shop to
install a new DSL WiFi hub.  I immediately had no WiFi access, and we spent
three hours with a tech on long distance trying to configure their box so that
it would work, but with no success.  I soon learned that these newer WiFi hubs
use a handshake protocol that is not backwards compatible with older equipment.
 I bought an after-market USB WiFi adapter and everything is back to normal.

>Mike
>
>--

Chris