Re: [OM] Any Thunderbird Email Users Out There?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any Thunderbird Email Users Out There?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 14:39:20 -0500
I'm on version 24.1.0 released Oct/29 so I assume that's the same
version you're using.  I'm not having any problems.  Thunderbird has a
couple second delay when you make the first deletion since it has to
load the delete handling code but is pretty instantaneous after that.

Since this problem didn't start until about a week after the update I
suspect not the release but that some size or configuration info on your
machine has changed.  My first guess is an overly large trash folder
since deleting a message has to move it from the folder it was in and
*append* it to the *end* of the trash file.  I think this is simply a
sequential file so deleting may have to actually read/write the entire
file.  Well, even if it's smarter than that, I'd first try emptying the
trash and then do compaction of all folders to reduce file space and
message counts.  Let us know what happens.

Chuck Norcutt