Re: [OM] Carrie Underwood

Subject: Re: [OM] Carrie Underwood
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:12:46 -0700
> I think this can be kinda true <g>, but my TV is 1080p HD and the show I was
> watching was broadcast in HD, which corrects for the distortion. If I watch
> the same show on a non-HD channel, the distortion is painfully apparent.

The distortion correction actually is just selecting the correct
aspect ratio for display. All properly produced HD content these days
has several safe zones, which you need to make sure the subject stays
in. The entire signal is broadcast/transmitted, but the television set
has to select the correct ratio to avoid stretching or black bars.
This is in the settings menu of your set. With the exception of
movies, you really don't see much that requires the extra width. In
fact, if you pay attention to it, you'll see that you can crop almost
everything to the 4:3 ratio and survive nicely. The extra width is
just screen filler. Eventually, this will change--maybe.

Older, legacy content, which is 4:3, MUST display with black bars,
otherwise you get the dreaded stretching. You do have the option to
display it in full width, but that crops the top and bottom off the
image area. UGLY, with a capital G.

We don't watch much TV in our house as we're far beyond the fringe
from the coverage of the towers and we're not going to subscribe to
pay-TV. We generally stream off the web just the shows we want to
watch or buy the DVDs.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx