Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers

Subject: Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 06:00:04 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> Manual! Apocrophylly, BMW only started putting auto tranny's into their cars
>> because murkin dealers
>> insisted. They really couldn't understand why anyone would want to put an
>> auto in a Beemer. Ever.
>> At the time, they increased engine size to allow for it. And probably
>> detuned them a bit. There
>> should be an advantage in mileage but, of course, that's cancelled out by
>> the fact that manual BMW's
>> are driven…properly.

     <<SNIP>>

>Manual folks are free to look down their noses at me for preferring automatic,
>but if they do, they'll
>see my middle finger wagging back at them. <g>

     I had a Studebaker a long time ago with an automatic.  Not bad, but after
I experienced the (then) European "four-on-the-floor" fully synchronised manual
transmission, I was hooked for life.  An automatic cannot see ahead and
downshift for a turn, much the same as a cruise control cannot see ahead and
anticipate the need to start accelerating before getting to the bottom of the
grade.  Plus you cannot downshift an automatic to use compression braking.
Saves wear on the brakes, but you have to know how to do it properly so as not
to add wear to the clutch.

Chris